Monday, July 20, 2009

my Handwriting

As I made out a greeting card for my grandmother, I was reminded of the fact that I can't stand my handwriting. It's sloppy. The lines of the letters don't touch. I mix printing and cursive. I cannot write straight, and I cannot stay on the line.

As a matter of fact, the only "C" ever received from 1st grade all the way until graduation in 12th grade was in 5th grade handwriting. I was shocked an appalled to have gotten a "C" in something, but soon after I realized the error of my ways. Let me personify it this way: if my handwriting was a person, it would be a gangly, preteen, on the cusp of puberty running for something, and maybe even tripping and falling...and scraping its knee. It sucks. I hate looking at it. I hate looking at it as much as I hate hearing my voice on a voicemail message or in a home movie...but I digress.

In an effort to compensate for hating my handwriting, when I write things for public consumption (work notes excluded) I will write them in a strange way to try and fool myself into thinking that someone else wrote it. I will make big swooping curves on letters with curves in them, and make letters with points (like M, N, or W) very sharp. I feel like this distracts me (and hopefully others) from how juvenile my writing looks, and I hope people say "wow this handwriting is strangely appealing." No one else probably notices or cares, but this is something I think about on a daily basis. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment