Friday, July 24, 2009

Car Stickers

This is not a compulsion, but rather something I obsess about, and comment on, every time I see it. Picture this: You roll up to a red light, and as you get closer to the SUV in front of you, you see a white sticker on the rear window. "What is that?" you say "oh wait, I know what that is, that's a tombstone. Like the ones in a graveyard." And so it is. The sticker is a name of a person as well as their date of birth and the date of death. Like this...eek.


Now more commonly you see the name of a family member, or someone who is not a celebrity. But I don't understand when it became commonplace to put "Rest in Peace" stickers on the back window of a car? Did I miss a memo that went around to everyone in the world telling people that the proper way to pay respect to loved ones who have passed was to put their name and dates on your car? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of remembering a loved one with like a tattoo, or something else more permanent, but putting a sticker on your car, where birds shit, and rain falls, and crap like that...it just seems a bit unnecessary to me.
My dislike of the memorial sticker does not compare to my disdain for the family sticker. This is a terrible idea! Who thought it would be a good idea to put the first and last name of your whole family on the back of your mini van for all to see. Call me paranoid, but now John Q. Pedophile can go up to little Billy Smith and say "Hey Billy, your mommy, Susan, wants me to pick you up from school today. Come home with me." And then BAM, Billy is accosted because this man, although strange and unknown, knows Billy's name, his mother's name, and the family name. Worst, idea, ever.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I have always said the SAME thing about those family stickers. Nobody seemed to think it was unsafe except me! I'm glad I'm not alone on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,it is nice to find such a nice and informational blog.Thanks for sharing with all.

    ReplyDelete