Sunday, August 30, 2009

1/2 the Salad, 3/4 the Price

What is half of ten? Five, right? Is that so hard to figure out? It's pretty simple if you ask me, but at some restaurants half of ten is like eight or something, and half of twelve is sometimes like nine or so. Confusing, huh? One of my biggest pet peeves involves this simple math.

Half of a salad should cost half of the price! Anytime I see whole or half salads on a menu at a restaurant, I become enraged at the price discrepancy between the two.

I realize that the server still has to get paid their same wage whether I order a full or half salad, and their time is valuable, and their wage is some of that additional cost, but I feel like that is up to the restaurant to make up for. Restaurants don't charge for water, but that is just as time consuming to refill as a soda they make three bucks on. And restaurants that have half-priced happy hour appetizers somehow manage to stay afloat even though they are serving the same thing but only making half as much. And if their argument is that it's more than half a salad, so that's why it's more than half the price, then don't call it a half salad. Simple as that. Call it "A Little Less" or some other kitschy name.

The problem is, I can't really eat a whole salad without stuffing myself until lettuce climbs its way back up my esophagus. But that being said, I will always, ALWAYS, order the whole salad when dining out, unless I deem the half salad price to be comparable to that of the whole salad price. The way I see it, I would rather throw half of the salad away, and burn two or three dollars, than get a half salad. I know they don't care, but I feel like I am sticking it to the restaurant by getting this whole big salad and throwing the rest of it away.
And then I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment