Thursday, November 5, 2009

Washing My Car

I hate having my car washed. Not because I don't like to have a clean car (believe me, nothing makes me happier). Not because the car wash does a bad job. As in everything I hate, I hate having my car washed because it creates a good 1-2 weeks of stress for me.

First of all, after I get the car washed, I can't roll the windows down for the rest of the day. If the windows get rolled down, the window streaks, and the car wash is wasted. Have you ever gotten in a sealed car on a ninety degree summer day? Let me tell you it's hot and the air conditioning does not cool down all that quickly. On the way home from the car wash (and for about a week to follow) I drive very cautiously and carefully, because I don't want water from the gutter to get splashed behind my tires and onto my freshly cleaned car.

That is just the beginning. Obviously we don't live in a bubble. Wind blows, and cars drive by, both of which sprinkle dirt and dust all over my car. If it's the time of year when it's really dry, I will occasionally dust my car with a dry rag to keep the dirt off. If I keep the dirt off, then the moisture and the dew from the night just drips down and evaporates, and leaves my car virtually unscathed by the elements. If I don't keep the dirt off, then the morning dew mixes with the dust on the car and creates a filthy mess.

As if there needs to be more, I keep an old bath towel in the trunk so I can wipe off the morning dew and keep it from streaking over car and the windows. It doesn't have to be perfect, just to get a bulk of the moisture off so the rest can evaporate, and keep the car clean. I also keep a squeegee in my trunk to get the windows crisp and clear. Anytime I dry my car I squeegee it too. And finally, if I have the time and it needs to be done, I'll get the Windex and clean the windows the old fashion way.

So for me, cleaning my car is a 2 week process that requires a lot of extra time and energy, so much so that it's almost not worth it.

1 comment:

  1. You know, you should have a specified day on when to clean your car, for example, your day-off from work, to make sure that you won't use it, and at the same time, prevent window streaks and whatnot. Also, try covering your car with tarp every night, it'll help big time.

    ReplyDelete