Friday, October 23, 2009

My Toothbrush

I don't really consider myself to be a germaphobe. I wont run away when you sneeze. I will shake hands with a stranger. I'll even eat a Cheeto off the floor. There are, however, certain things that I just can't get over, and it is because of these things, that I often get accused of being one. My toothbrush, for example, is one of the things I am pretty particular about.
.
To me, the toothbrush is a sacred instrument. Without it we would be unable to clean our mouths, prevent tooth decay, or (God forbid) scrub our tongues. Because I consider my toothbrush to be such a prized possession, I take care of it accordingly. My toothbrush is safely nestled away in my bathroom medicine cabinet, locked away in travel case, safe from harm and awaiting my two (sometimes three) glorious visits a day.
.
Now most people have their toothbrush sitting right next to their sink, in a ready to use position, next to someone else's toothbrush, in a convenient holder. But what those people fail to realize, is that their toothbrush is in serious danger. What else happens in the bathroom? Peeing, of course, but that's not the issue (unless your toothbrush is in the splash zone). The issue is the other bodily function that everyone has to do. Think about this...if your toothbrush is exposed in the bathroom, and you use the bathroom for anything besides teeth brushing and primping, it HAS to have poo particles on it. Then, you come in at night to brush your teeth, and repeatedly mash those poo particles into your teeth, gums, and tongue in an effort to make your mouth cleaner. Does that make sense to you? 'Cause it doesn't make sense to me. I think you get the idea with this one.
.
Besides your significant other, the thought of using someone else's toothbrush is repulsive. I would rather use the toothpaste-on-the-finger trick than use someone else's toothbrush. Hell, I would rather Neanderthal it and chew on a stick than use someone else's toothbrush. Anyway, it is that same thought that makes me now put my toothbrush in a travel case, alone in the medicine cabinet. I've had roommates before, and sometimes I would see the heads of our toothbrushes touching. To me, that is like kissing that person, or using that person's toothbrush. No thank you.
.
As an aside, the ADA says not to store your toothbrush in a enclosed space, but until they smell what I smell after walking into a bathroom one of my family members has been in, their recommendations will fall on deaf ears.
.
(Advice: It is recommended to replace your toothbrush every three to four months and/or after an illness.)

1 comment:

  1. Grand! I like your style. It is fine to appreciate our toothbrush, and it’s up to us adults to encourage the younger ones to use it regularly. By the way, taking care of our toothbrushes is good, but it’s advisable to replace it after 3 months of use.

    ReplyDelete