Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My DVR

The invention of the Digital Video Recorder (or DVR) rocked my world. I love to watch Television, but I also love to go to bed early (10pm at the latest). From time to time, these two passions interfere with one another, and the planner in me opts for the early bedtime. At this point, the DVR swoops in to save the day. Although the DVR has made it quicker and easier to watch TV, it has also brought with it increased anxiety. Let me explain...
.
The DVR added one more thing in my life that I had to organize and manage on a regular basis. I set all the TV shows I want to record even if I know I will be home to watch it. This way, if I am out, I don't have to scramble home just for a TV show. This is rarely a problem as my increased agoraphobia (also undiagnosed) as well as my enjoyment of a good night sleep, has made me a bit of a homebody. Nonetheless, I record everything I am watching, or plan on watching in the future. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
.
If I am home watching the show, and I don't need it to be recording for any reason, I have to stop the recording and delete off my DVR list as soon as possible. For some reason, I can't stand to have the show recording if I am watching it live. For me, the "My Recordings" list is like my room, everything has its place and there is no room for clutter. Clutter, in DVR terms, is anything I have already watched.
.
Due to the fact that I hate to have excess recordings on my list, I also have the system group similar recording so that anything with the same title is organized into a folder. This is also a rare occasion as too many items in a folder makes me anxious and I have to delete some of them.
.
The DVR is set up to list recordings in Alpha/Numeric order. In any other situation this would be great as alphabetical order is generally a nice, clear-cut way to organize things. But I like my DVR list to put things in chronological order so I can start at the bottom (oldest recording) and work my way up to the top (most recent). This way I can easily watch the oldest recording before a new episode airs.
.
Technology makes things so much easier but so much more complicated too.

No comments:

Post a Comment