Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tipping

I've always been a generous tipper, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that my tipping practices are 50% generosity, and 50% Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
.
When I go out to eat, I always use credit/debit cards (cash is dirty and leaves no paper trail) so when it comes time to pay and tip, I can tip to the penny. Literally, to the penny. When the bill comes (lets say it's $23.37) I will tip so that the final amount is a round number. Something about having it an odd amount on the receipt doesn't sit well with me. So, for example, on a $23.37 bill, I will tip $6.63, so that the final amount is $30.00. I am satisfied with the nice, round number. The server is satisfied with an over 28% tip. And then, when I check the amount on my credit card statement, I can easily verify that the amount charged was correct.
.
Speaking of verifying the amount, one time, and a lame, douche bag-hangout, bar, the final amount charged on my card was $1.00 more than I left as a tip. Obviously I knew this because I always tip an even amount. I disputed the claim with my credit card company (on principle, not on the amount) and $1.00 was credited to my account. If I wasn't so diligent, this shady, already overpriced, shoot-myself-in-the-face-before-I-go-back, bar would have swindled me out of my hard earned money.
.
Anyway, if the bill is not an amount that is easily totaled into a round number, I will settle for something like a $32.00, or a $28.00 total. But the cents will always be .00 and whenever possible the final amount will be a denomination of 5 or 10.
.
I have thought about the fact that it would be annoying to get something like 63 cents as part of a tip, but most servers get their credit card tips on their paychecks, so that is not even a factor. Not to mention I always round up, so they are getting a better tip than someone else would give them, and because of that, any complaints would fall on deaf ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment